Summer’s here! Ok, so maybe it was here last week and now the rain has washed it all away but it’ll be back! (let’s be optimistic here..) This recipe for peach melba cupcakes is extra summery, filled with the sweetness of peach and a hit of raspberry deliciousness all combined in a light, fluffy cupcake. Recipe follows..
A few months ago, I went to the Cake International show and picked up some flavoured icing sugar. I mentioned one of the flavours in a previous post – Salted Caramel cupcakes. The other flavour I picked up was the Peach Melba flavour, I had a taster at the show and it just reminded me instantly of summer, I had to get it.
The peach flavour is strong and captured so well in the icing sugar, I didn’t worry too much about diluting it by adding extra ‘normal’ icing sugar to increase the quantity of frosting. You can buy it from Sugar & Crumbs here – they’ve got a variety of other flavours which I’ll definitely be trying out.
The cupcake has a hidden peach ‘surprise’ inside, which sits in the middle of the cupcake. I found the trick to making sure fruit doesn’t sink to the bottom when baking is to roll it in some plain flour beforehand, works a treat!
I used Trex for the frosting rather than unsalted butter as it doesn’t change the flavour too much and keeps the frosting white, rather than an ‘off yellow’ as you get with butter. Only problem with Trex? Washing up anything it’s touched… even greasier than butter, I found baking soda helped a lot!
- 240g plain flour
- 265g caster sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 160g unsalted butter (room temp)
- 2 eggs
- 240ml whole milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 16 peach halves (I used a tin of sliced peaches)
- 3 tbsp plain flour
- 250g peach melba flavoured icing sugar
- 200g icing sugar
- 200g Trex
- 3 - 4 tbsp cold water
- Punnet of raspberries
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees
- Sift together plain flour, caster sugar and baking powder. Add the butter and mix well, until it resembles breadcrumbs
- In a jug, mix the eggs, milk and vanilla extract together. Once combined, slowly add this to the flour mixture and mix until fully incorporated
- Fill cupcake cases to 2/3 full with cake mix and set aside
- Cut each peach slice into 3/4 bitesize pieces and roll in the plain flour, add 3 - 4 peach pieces to each cupcake case (or more if you wish)
- Bake in the oven for 18 - 20 minutes and leave to cool on a wire rack
- Sift together both types of icing sugar and add Trex, then mix together until well combined
- Add the water a tablespoon at a time until the frosting comes together smoothly
- Once cupcakes are cooled, pipe or spoon frosting onto each cupcakeand add a raspberry as the final touch!